11 February, 2008

Thoughts on the Grammys -Parts One and Deux

PART I
So I have never been a big Grammy Awards viewer - nothing personal, just never understood the spectacle for like 500 awards that all sound the same. I mean honestly do we really need Album/Song/Record/Female Pop Vocal Performance/Male Pop Vocal Performance/Pop Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals/Pop Collaboration With Vocals/Pop Instrumental Album/Pop Instrumental Performance/Traditional Pop Vocal Album/Alternative Music Album/Rock Album of the Year?

OK, now that I have ripped the Grammy's a bit, let me add one positive and one interesting reaction I had to the list of the Grammy winners.

The late Michael Brecker was awarded, posthumosly, his 14th and 15th Grammy awards for his work on his final album, "Pilgramage". Truly, in my eyes, the greatest saxophonist ever, and arguably one of the greatest jazz instrumentalists of all time as well. Congratulations Mr. Brecker, and rest in peace. You certainly left us too early.

Please enjoy one of my favorites:



PART II
On the interesting side, could Barack Obama become the first Grammy winner to become President of the United States? His win? Spoken Word: "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream,"

No comments: